Saturday, May 9, 2009

So the fun begins.

For the past year and a half, I have been in an almost constant state of sickness. Before, I was almost never sick. Now, I catch absolutely everything. I have caught various sicknesses, held little babies, and those little babies did not even catch what I was catching.

What it all came down to, no matter what main sickness I was diagnosed with (anything from bronchitis to hand, foot and mouth), I also had sinusitis.

A couple months back, I got fed up. My right nostril was getting zero air. My sleep cycle was being completely ruined by this sinusitis. I was ready to hurt my doctors. Why had they not yet FIXED me?? Finally, at the suggestion of my aunt, I asked me doctor to look up my nose and check me for a deviated septum.

After an x-ray, it was discovered I indeed had an extremely deviated septum. I was then referred to another doctor.

This doctor told me to go get a ct scan because my nose was so deviated that the middle part (septum) touched the outer wall of my nose. Mind you, I have never broken my nose. This is all thanks to my birth which happened to be pretty intense according to my mother.

Turns out, my face is completely overrun with polyps as well. I mean, anything connected to my nose at all is just infested with the things. Good to know. I also have inflamed turbinates. No wonder I can't breathe.

What is good is that I had spent the last year and a half on every drug out there. This includes several steroid shots, antibiotics out the butt, steroid nose sprays, ect. You see, otherwise my doctor might not have been willing to do surgery on me. You HAVE to go through these steps.

My nose is worse off than I thought possible. Surgery is not optional. I have to have it to restore my way of life.

Therefore, next Thursday, the surgery is happening. I am terrified. I have read all the horror stories online about the pain.

At this point, my nose is just getting worse. I get daily headaches/migraines, my sleep is still awful, leaving me tired constantly, and no food can entice me at this point as my taste buds are so far gone from lack of smell.

So, I am also excited. I can not even imagine how many things this will change for me. Being able to breathe, to taste, ect. How will it affect my voice? My asthma?

I am writing this blog to keep a diary as to what these next couple weeks bring me. I expect pain. I expect being extremely uncomfortable. I am hoping for a speedy recovery.

Scared but hopeful,

Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment